Since 12 years, .net framework has been a programming model for developers who want to build app for windows. Today microsoft takes a bold step in taking .net core 5 as cross platform and open source.That means you can ship a private version of the .NET Core Framework with your app.
Some of the features of asp.net 5
- .net core will be shipped via nuget.That means you can ship a private version of the .NET Core Framework with your app.
- .NET Core CLR for Windows, Mac and Linux and it will be both open source and it will be supported by Microsoft. It’ll all happen at https://github.com/dotnet.
- Open sourcing the RyuJit and the .NET GC and making them both cross-platform.
ASP.NET 5.0 ability to work everywhere
- ASP.NET 5 will be available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Mac and Linux support will come soon and it’s all going to happen in the open on GitHub at https://github.com/aspnet.
- ASP.NET 5 will include a web server for Mac and Linux called kestrel built on libuv, and you could front it with Nginx for production.
- There is a new FREE SKU for Visual Studio for open source developers and students called Visual Studio Community
- Visual Studio 2015 and ASP.NET 5 will support gulp, grunt, bower and npm for front end developers.
- Much of the .NET Core Framework 4.6 and its Reference Source source is going on GitHub. It’s being relicensed under the MIT license.